Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2nd Grade literacy centers

I'm back again to show you my third and final January literacy menu. I think you'll like the variety in this one! 


The reading section is getting a bit more interesting with a Main idea center and an Inference center.

Here's a closer look at one of them that is hard to see:
Making Inferences (Here is one of the two sets)


These are two of the cards. Students will choose the inference card to best matches each little story (from the page above)



Word work looks similar to first grade, but it's actually quite a bit more challenging. 

The word match has two choices:  
Matching prefix to the root word
 or matching syllables in a word

This center is different than the 1st grade version in that all the words are two syllable words.


The noun sort is with common and proper nouns and the Sounds of oo is sorting words based on the actual sound that the oo makes (like in moon or book).

The writing is similar to first grade, except I added a few prompt cards. 



The sentence building introduces some new things: Plowing through prefixes (using prefixes in context) and verb tenses (in context). The Super sentence using adverbs and adjectives.



You can get these here:
 


I hope you all had a wonderful New Year's Eve last night! Any good stories for me? My evening was pretty uneventful but I was happy to be with my husband and kids. :) 

Take care and happy 2014!!



9 comments:

  1. Just love your centers! So many engaging activities!

    rachelmd93@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! Perfect for 2nd grade!! amandalawson4@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would be a perfect fit for my 1/2 combo class. Thanks for the opportunity. beach.3@cox.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great for homeschoolers too! Goodness, you have covered a lot in this centre. Well done! Thanks for the opportunity. thursdaytook@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to win! sleeteach@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am behind on teaching prefixes and my kiddos love scrambled sentences! Looks awesome! artanddcraftmom@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to have these for my 2nd grade babies. sydcohn@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to win these! This is my first year in 2nd grade :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just found your blog and FB page after reading about you in today's TPT Newsletter! Woo hoo! I added your 2nd Grade Literacy Centers to my cart! Just what I was looking for to beef up our new implementation of Daily 5! Thanks so much!
    ~Jennifer
    www.storiesandsongsinsecond.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/storiesandsongs2

    ReplyDelete