Monday, July 1, 2013

Assessment in the Primary Grades

I'm linking up with Shelly over at Teaching in the Early Years to talk about assessment. If you've been following me for a while, you know I like this topic. I love hearing about and creating new ideas for how best to assess my students. It's been a long rode, that's for sure! Assessment is sort of like a frenemy (friend and enemy) that you better get along with, but is also a huge headache sometimes! It can totally be overwhelming but it is necessary. The trick is to use that assessment to your advantage and not just as an afterthought to cross your t's and dot your i's. Not that that is easy! And by the way, I'm totally preaching about what I do in an ideal situations if I was a super teacher, not necessarily what I always actually do. Someday I will be a perfect teacher, right? :)

Okay, so here goes! This post is going to be a smorgasboard of different assessment tools I've posted about in the past.

First up is my guided reading "snapshot". I use these to communicate with parents about students' progress with reading. You can read more about how I use these in great detail here.  (While your there you can download these for FREE).

    

I made a similar snapshot for addition. I'm eventually going to make them for other math standards too. It's on my summer to-do list! You can get that freebie by clicking on the picture.





I use these to assess students writing journals.  


and here's a checklist of those skills:

for the class

and for individual students (I would put dates at the top).




Here's a sample of a writing rubric I would use at the end of the year for a more formal assessment.


If you like that rubric, I have a ginormous pack of writing rubrics.


and a huge pack of reading response rubrics. This pack has the reading response prompt pages and the rubrics. This pack is totally common core aligned!


You can get both of these packs at either of my stores. My writing rubrics pack is my top seller!
    



If you are interested, I made this short slideshow for the staff at my school. I did a little presentation about using writing rubrics. 




 








Wow! Congrats on getting to the bottom of this long post. :) 

If you enjoyed this post of think you can use any of these freebies, I'd love to hear from you! 




Check out more fantastic assessment ideas! Head on over to Teaching in the Early Years.

This also happens to fall on the first, so I'm linking it up to one of my favorite blogs!
Check out other fabulous freebies!




Follow my blog with Bloglovin

5 comments:

  1. After reading your post, all I can say is WOW! Your post was very informative and thank so much for the freebies. I am now following you on TPT and Facebook. I will definitely be spending a few hours catching up on your past posts. You are an incredible teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the freebies! This is one of my goals this year - keeping up with assessment of my kids, but making it manageable! These will definitely help :)

    Melissa
    First Grade Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Great post on assessments! This will help me organize and prepare how to do assessments this year! Thank you!

    Andrea
    Cheers To School

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! You could publish an assessment book! I'm honored to follow you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the snapshots!! We team teach and I teach the math, so I can't wait for you to post more math ones :) Thanks!

    Becky King

    ReplyDelete