Saturday, November 3, 2012

Guided Reading Snippets (Freebies for you!)

I may just be feeling ambitious right now, but I've been having such a hard time keeping up with my blog so I need something to keep me on track. Enter Guided Reading Snippets! I was thinking that each Saturday or Sunday, I would post a little snippet about guided reading. I get a lot of questions via email about centers and guided reading, so maybe this will be a helpful idea? I certainly don't claim to be an expert by ANY means, but I've always had a lot of interest and have read a ton of books about it. Teaching reading is my absolute favorite! I've tried a ton of different things over the years, and I've learned what does and doesn't work for me. I also realized that what works for one teacher may not work for another, so I thought that maybe this could spark some good ol' fashion blogging discussion. I miss that! I love all the emails I get from followers but I've been having such a hard time keeping up. I love that I'm reaching people and in some small ways helping, so I definitely want to find a way to keep doing that. So come on bloggy friends! I'd love to hear from you when I post my snippets each weekend and get your expertise/input too! If there are questions, I'll try to answer on my blog so everyone can see the answer- or maybe you could help answer. :)

My first snippet is another guided reading snapshot assessment. 

You could use this during guided reading groups or reading conferences. These are intended to be used only for teachers (unlike my other snapshot assessment that is meant to be a communication tool to use with parents).
So I don’t overwhelm myself, I only fill out one of these per day per group. That way, if you have groups of 5 or 6, you end up doing one for each student every week. You may want to do them with your higher need students more often.

I tried to make them simple so they wouldn’t take a lot of time but I also wanted them to be as informative as possible.
Click on the picture to download.
clip art by scrappindoodles


I keep these forms in my Guided Reading Binder. Each student has a tab and then any reading-related assessments for that student go together there. I put running record assessments, these "snapshot" assessments, and sight word checklists there. That way I have it all together. Don't you just love a good binder?! :)I have a ton of binders in my classroom. It's a little ridiculous actually. 

A while back, I posted about these snapshot assessment that I send home for parents. 
Click on the pictures to see that post and get this freebie.

   
clip art by thistlegirldesigns

(There are 6 total in this freebie)
You could also keep a copy for yourself in your Guided Reading binder or just transfer the info onto the sheet above so that you can have information from several different days on one sheet. 

More Guided Reading Snippets to come next weekend! 

On a totally unrelated note, I wanted to show you some precious Halloween pictures to make you smile. Well, they make me smile anyway. :)

 
not a happy camper, but SO cute!

Shawn loved trick or treating! (Obviously) 



Free photo taken at a Harvest Fest








7 comments:

  1. wow, thanks so much for the guided reading resources! These will def. come in handy.

    MrsMc from Buzz! Buzz! Buzz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cute!!
    and thanks for the guided reading reading pages!
    I'm posting about your reading and writing rubrics today!!
    ♥ Jen
    The Teacher's Cauldron

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like those guided reading forms, Sarah. Thank you. I'm printing them as I write this:)
    Love your sweet lil' pumpkin, too!
    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of having a regular guided reading segment! Thanks for the sheets!
    Nicole
    Teaching With Style

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, your kiddos are ADORABLE!!

    I love the guided reading segment! Thanks for the freebie :)

    Susan
    T.G.I.F. (Thank God it's First Grade!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog is awesome, I find so many interesting articles, love this guided reading part...Good luck and much thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete