Here are a few of the activities we do during the first week to shake it up a bit:
- Friend Search: click on the picture to download
clip art by melonheadz, scrappindoodles, graphic factory, and KPM doodles. Font by Miss Tina; frame by sweetpickles
- Morning message: I write a short morning message with a few letters left out. The kids love to help me add in the correct letters. The names are glued on after we read the message. I have them color their names for morning work. It's nice to have an easy thing for them to do for morning work that requires little to no explanation.
- Skittles math: using skittles to introduce math in "real life" (sorting skittles, adding skittles, greatest, least, problem solving). I go really slow with this one! I sort out the skittles ahead of time and put in little snack pack ziplock bags.
click on the picture to download.
- Birthday Graph: The kids put their name and date of their birthday on their cake and then put it on the correct month.
clip art by scrappindoodles, thistlegirldesigns, and melonheadz
You can get the month cards and graph here if you want to make your own birthday graph.
- Wemberly Worried: Classic, right? There are so many fabulous first day books out there, but this will always be a favorite. (Plus it's a great introduction to our author study on Kevin Henkes.) After reading this story, we make our first text to self connection by talking about how we feel on the first day. They all drew pictures of their adorable little faces to add to this graph. I can't for the life of me remember where I saw this idea. If you know, please tell me so I can link to that blog.
Sorry it's so fuzzy. Want to help me convince my husband I NEED a new camera? :)
I'll be doing Kevin Henkes for the next week so check back for some more freebies!