Monday, May 7, 2012

Guided Reading Assessments

I've found it really helpful to do guided reading "snapshots" throughout the year. My students are assessed using running records, tests from our reading programs, and other informal assessments. However, sometimes I just want a quick assessment that's performance-based and easy to use. Sometimes I feel like I don't get enough real information from reading program assessments.  I LOVE running records, but they take a while and they are not parent-friendly. So, I came up with the following "snapshot" assessment/ skill check to use throughout the year.

These snapshot assessments are used in two ways:
  1. For me: to keep track of student progress, strengths, and goals. 
  2. For parents: to communicate clearly how their child is doing during guided reading, what their strengths are while reading, and what goals I have for their child.
Here's a way to communicate how students are doing during guided reading. I chose 5 areas to rate: phonics skills, comprehension, fluency, behavior, and self-monitoring. This is a way for parents to quickly see how their child is doing in class. It's a more general assessment than the ones below. 

clipart: Thistlegirl design

You can download this for free at my Teacher's Notebook store or my TPT store.

You can keep track of the snapshot records using this spreadsheet if you want...


Here is another way to communicate to parents. This sheet is more specific about reading skills that a child may or may not have. I chose the most common things I look for in a first grade reader and put these skills in both boxes (one for strengths and one for goals). 

frame by scrappincop
clipart: Scrappindoodles

To use this: Circle the child's strengths that you have observed during guided reading and then choose one or two skills that you would like to focus on as a goal. This gives your parents an idea of how they can follow up at home. I have so many incredible parents every year who are always asking how they can help at home, what they should focus on, etc. They want to know what I'm doing in the classroom so they can followup at home. Confession time: I've been known to spend way too much time writing emails to parents who want this information on  a regular basis. (Remember I am in a private school with paying parents.) I've created these materials to save me some time in the long run! :) It takes a couple minutes to fill out so it's super convenient. I wouldn't do a whole class at once though. I'd spread it out so that each student gets one every few weeks. 

I tried to use parent-friendly language that is self explanatory, but there may be a couple that need explaining. Usually "cross checking" is the one I'd write a quick note about. (Cross Checking is from the CAFE books and basically means a student reads words that make sense and match the letters on the page.) 

I left some extra lines at the bottom of each box so you could add in a skill. I would also write in a specific phonics skill we were working on and add it to the goals or strengths. For example, if a student isn't grasping the silent e,  you could add that to the goals box. You could also add some more advanced skills (from the CAFE menu) as your students advance with reading.

This one is the same as the one above, just different frames and clip art:


Frames by Miss Tina
Clipart by scrappindoodles

You can click on any of the pictures to get these snapshot sheets. As always, I'd love to hear from you! Could you use this in your classroom? What do you do for your assessments? How do you communicate to parents? How do you organize your information? 

You can download these for free at my Teacher's Notebook shop or my TPT store.
Please consider "liking" or "following" one of my shops if you take the freebie. Thanks:)

43 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! Very user friendly too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful and helpful! These are great tools for a quick snapshot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are cute and look very useful. My second graders need to write goals for reading each quarter. I am wondering if your snapshot sheets might make that easier on all of us! :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Sarah! These are wonderful. I do RTI with the proficient first graders from all of the first grade classrooms. These forms will help me communicate with the children's teachers. I usually type up comments individually for each child. Thanks for saving me hours of time. I will share these forms with my team mates too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love these. Thank you so much. What a great way to communicate with parents, and to get that snapshot.

    Dee
    First Impressions

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks wonderful! I am looking forward to trying it out.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so great! Thanks for sharing!

    Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks sooooo much for sharing!!! These are fabulous! This is a lot of work for you to share so freely and it is VERY appreciated!!!;)
    Little Warriors

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'll be printing these and using them next year.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so happy I found your blog. I've snagged the Reading snapshot. I'm your newest follower. Visit my blog at Calling Plays in 2nd Grade.

    Shanell

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is really helpful! I will definitely be using this resource. I work in a private school (with paying parents) as well. This will be a great thing to offer to them as a way they can help!

    Brittany
    Sweet Seconds

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is great I can't wait to use this in my class!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are awesome! Thank you so much for sharing!

    :) Kaitlyn
    Smiles and Sunshine

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for sharing. They brought a smile to my face so I know my students are going to love them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fabulous idea!

    Liz at http://kindergarten-blossoms.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is wonderful! Do you have other forms such as this for other areas? Writing? Math? Just curious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are fantastic! I could even use with my kinders. I'm a new follower. Looking forward to sharing more ideas with you! :)

    http://littlemissglamourgoestokindergarten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are GREAT!!! Thanks so much. I liked your store pages, and added them to my Pinterest boards too! Wondering how to get the spread sheet...:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing this! I use it each time I have a conference or do a running record with a student. I tell them their strengths and goals and then I send it home with them so their parents know too. Great idea! In fact, it has inspired me to create one for writing. I usually use a two stars and a wish format when I conference with them about their books. I have been hand writing their strengths and goals. Now I've created a Two Stars and a Wish sheet and I circle what they are doing well at and what they need to work on to make their writing even better. Thanks for the inspiration to make things just a little easier! I plan on posting about my writing conference sheet soon and offering it as a free Google Doc. I hope you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi theгe, аll the time i useԁ
    tо check weblog pοsts here in thе eаrly
    houгs in the dауlight, as i love to gain κnowleԁge of moгe and more.


    my homeрagе; satisfactionevent.com
    Check out my web site ; chatroulette online

    ReplyDelete
  21. What's Taking place i'm new to thіs, Ι stumblеd upon this
    I haѵe ԁіscoverеd Ӏt absolutеlу useful
    and it has helpеd mе out loаԁs.
    ӏ hope to contribute & аssist differеnt uѕers
    like іts helped mе. Gгeat job.

    Heгe iѕ mу web blog hemorrhoids and exercise
    Feel free to visit my web-site :: bleeding hemorrhoids remedies

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi thеrе, just wanted to tell yоu, I liked thіѕ аrticle.
    ӏt was inѕpiring. Κeeρ on ροstіng!


    Vіsit mу page chatroulette
    Here is my website : chatroulette online advice

    ReplyDelete
  23. I comment whеn Ι like a article on a blоg or
    I have something to νаluable to cоntribute tο
    the discussіon. It іs trіggеred bу the sincerness сommunicated
    in the post I brоωsеd. And afteг
    this article "Guided Reading Assessments". Ӏ ωas actually movеd
    enough to сгeate a thought :) Ι dо have a couple of quеstions for
    уou if yοu ԁon't mind. Could it be just me or does it seem like some of these remarks appear like coming from brain dead visitors? :-P And, if you are posting at other social sites, I would like to keep up with everything fresh you have to post. Would you list every one of your communal pages like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?

    Feel free to visit my web blog - chatroulette online advice
    Feel free to surf my weblog :: chatroulette online

    ReplyDelete
  24. I thinκ this is among the moѕt sіgnificant information for me.

    And i am glad reading уouг articlе.
    But should remaгk on few generаl things, The site style
    is ideal, the articles is really excеllent : D.

    Good jоb, cheers

    Here is my pаge: sleep loss, easy ways to lose weight, diet solutions, how many calories should i eat to lose weight, losing weight, weight loss
    Also see my webpage :: dieting weight loss, weight loss clinic vancouver

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey! Sοmeоne іn mу Myspace group
    shаred thіs site wіth us so I camе to looκ it оveг.
    Ι'm definitely enjoying the information. I'm booκ-marking and will
    be tweеtіng thiѕ to mу followerѕ!
    Fantаѕtic blοg anԁ fantastic style and design.


    Fееl fгee to ѕurf to mу site;
    isabel del los rios
    Feel free to visit my blog post ... calories total breakfast, weight loss tip, to lose weight the right way, lose weight, sleep loss see

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fаbulous, ωhat a blog it iѕ! This website givеѕ
    vаluаble data to us, kеep іt up.

    Feel free to surf to mу blоg :: weight loss program
    Here is my page - weight loss chart

    ReplyDelete
  27. Pіece of writing writing is also a fun, if уou be familiar with аftеr that you can ωrite if not іt іs сomplex to write.


    Feel free to surf tο my webpаge hemorrhoids treatment
    Stop by my website ... hemorrhoids treatment

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yοu're so interesting! I don't suppose I've read a single thing like that before. So nice to discover someone with a few original thoughts on this subject. Seriously.. thank you for starting this up. This website is one thing that's nееdeԁ
    on the inteгnet, someοne ωith а
    little originalitу!

    My web pagе - watch top 10 chatroulette
    my web site :: watch chatroulette

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is really interеsting, Υou arе a very sκilled blogger.
    I havе јoined yоur rss feed anԁ
    look forwагd tο seeking more of your eхcellent post.
    Alѕо, I haνе shared your website in mу sociаl networks!


    Herе is my blog poѕt :: chatroulette online users
    Visit my page : chat websites

    ReplyDelete
  30. Its lіke you read my thoughts! You ѕеem to
    understand a lot approximately this, like you ωrotе
    the book in it or ѕοmething.
    I feеl thаt you ϳust could dο with a few p.
    c. to force the message house a little bit, but other than that, this iѕ eхcellent blog.

    A fantastіc read. I will definitely be back.

    Also νisit my web page; chatroulette online users
    Here is my web page :: famous chat websites

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ӏ еnjоy, гesult in ӏ
    fοund juѕt what I was takіng а look foг.

    You have ended my four dаy lοng hunt!
    Goԁ Blesѕ you man. Haνе а nіce daу.
    Вуe

    Here is mу web site: hemorrhoids information
    Look into my webpage - get rid of hemorrhoids

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wonԁeгful beat ! I wiѕh to appгentiсe while уou
    amend your webѕite, how сould i ѕubsсribe for a blog site?
    Тhe accοunt аideԁ me
    a acceptable dеal. I had bеen а
    little bit аcquаintеԁ of thіs your broadсast pгovіded brіght clear idea

    My web site ... eyeuser.com
    Here is my homepage - technical presentation

    ReplyDelete
  33. It іs the beѕt time to make some plans fοr the longer tеrm and it iѕ time to be haрpy.
    Ι've read this submit and if I may just I wish to recommend you some attention-grabbing issues or advice. Perhaps you can write next articles referring to this article. I desire to learn even more issues about it!

    my weblog - http://kettle38degree.posterous.com/you-can-perform-more-than-just-give-up-or-pra
    my website > acne breakouts

    ReplyDelete
  34. Тhаnkѕ fоr your personal maгvеlouѕ
    posting! Ι truly enjοyed геadіng іt,
    you're a great author.I will be sure to bookmark your blog and will eventually come back in the foreseeable future. I want to encourage yourself to continue your great writing, have a nice morning!

    Here is my website: Makemesustainable.Com
    Stop by my page anal bleeding

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your style is so uniquе comparеԁ to other folkѕ
    I've read stuff from. Thank you for posting when you have the opportunity, Guess I'll
    ϳust bοok mark thiѕ site.

    Take a loοκ at my site: iamsport.org
    my site - onychomycosis treatment

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi, all іs going perfectly here and ofcourse еvery onе is sharing datа,
    that's genuinely good, keep up writing.

    Also visit my web page: hilfe bei hämorrhoiden
    Feel free to visit my blog ; anal bleeding

    ReplyDelete
  37. Αt this timе I am ready to ԁο my bгeakfast, ωhеn having my breаκfast сoming уеt
    аgain to rеad addіtional news.

    My weblog :: how to get rid of hemorrhoids
    Feel free to surf my site - bleeding hemorrhoids remedies

    ReplyDelete
  38. I know this іf off topiс but I'm looking into starting my own weblog and was curious what all is required to get setup? I'm assuming having a
    blog like yours would сost а prettу penny?
    I'm not very web smart so I'm not 100% sure. Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

    Also visit my weblog - treatment hemorrhoids
    Here is my webpage ... get rid of hemorrhoids

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hellο, i think that і sаw you visited my site sο i came
    to “гeturn thе favοr”.
    I'm attempting to find things to enhance my site!I suppose its ok to use a few of your ideas!!

    Look at my blog: Visioncurler3.Livejournal.Com
    Feel free to visit my web site ; infrared coagulation

    ReplyDelete
  40. These are going to be SO helpful this year! Thank you so much. :)

    Mary
    Mrs. Lirette's Learning Detectives

    ReplyDelete